Homeschool Girls: Girls Go CyberStart
Homeschool Girls: Girls Go CyberStart is Open to YOU!
This year, for the first time ever, North Carolina is one of 16 states in the U.S. participating in the Girls Go CyberStart Challenge! Homeschool girls in grades 9-12 residing in North Carolina are eligible to participate!
Hurry! The registration window is only open from January 29, to February 16, 2018!
The online games begin at 9:00 a.m. on February 20th and end at 11:59 p.m. on February 25th.
What is CyberStart?
What is Girls Go CyberStart? CyberStart is a fun and interactive series of challenges that offer the chance to explore exciting topics such as cryptography, penetration testing, and digital forensics.
Who Can Participate?
Girls enrolled in grades 9-12 at a public or private school or the homeschool equivalent have the chance to explore exciting topics such as cryptography, computer programming, and digital forensics. The CyberStart Program was established in 2017 by SANS, one of the world's top organizations in training information security professionals, and the governments of seven states. The CyberStart program seeks to attract and begin training the next generation of cybersecurity professionals by holding game-based competition between students around the country.
Can Homeschool Girls From Different Homeschools Form a Team?
YES, they can. We reached out to Girls Go CyberStart and asked that question. Here is the reply from Mandy Galante of the Girls Go CyberStart Team:
The Girls Go CyberStart competition welcomes participation by homeschooling students.
It is acceptable for girls who are attending different homeschools to come
together to form a team of up to four participants.
In the case of the homeschool, one parent would register as advisor for the team.
The Girls Go CyberStart Team
No Prior Computer Knowledge Needed!
Girls compete in teams of 1-4 students. Team registration is FREE! No prior computer knowledge is needed! Students from all educational backgrounds are welcomed. Do you enjoy solving problems, logically working through challenging tasks and learning new skills? Then you have what you need to succeed at CyberStart!
There are Prizes!
It gets even better because there are prizes! The Team that solves the most problems within the competition time will be the winner. If more than one Team solves all of the problems, then the Team that solved the problems in the shortest amount of time will be the winner.
What Do You Need to Participate?
- Access to a computer and a good Internet connection. The CyberStart game can be run on the latest version of Chrome or Firefox.
- For some of the challenges, you will need unrestricted access to browser developer tools/settings
- At more advanced levels, you will need the ability to install/run VMWare Player or Virtual Box on the computer. To solve the higher levels, a virtual machine is provided that is configured with all the tools required to complete the program.
- Your team will need an adult advisor.
I am Interested!
Ready to learn more? You can:
- Download Gov. Cooper's announcement about Girls Go CyberStart
- Check out the information at Girls Go CyberStart in North Carolina
- Find even more information and register your team at Girls Go CyberStart.
HURRY! Registration closes February 16, 2018!