Data Stories 2017
Charlotte BI Group Presents Data Stories for Middle School Girls!
The Charlotte Business Intelligence (BI) Group has partnered with girls+data to bring Data Stories to the Charlotte area. Homeschool girls in grades 6-8 are invited to participate in this amazing opportunity! Girls+data presents these workshops nationwide. Charlotte BI Group is excited to make this opportunity available during their SQL Saturday event.
What is Data Stories? Data Stories is a three-hour workshop that provides middle school girls with hands-on opportunities to think like data analytics professionals in STEM careers that don't code 100% of the time. This event is targeted to middle school girls who are interested in data analytics or tech careers outside of those requiring programming. Data Stories is presented by girls+data founder and president, Kira Wetzel.
Data Stories workshops use the Lead Learn Out teaching philosophy that Kira learned during her time at Apple, Inc. to boost their confidence and create a learning journey filled with dialogue and discovery. The student drives the learning experience while the teacher sits on their hands and leads them using words. Leading the learning out of the student develops their confidence and overcomes the idea that there is a right or wrong way or that they might "break" something. It also stimulates dialogue and promotes learning through discovery.
What will students do during the workshop? Students will learn to tell a data story by getting hands-on with analytics! They'll learn some programming and the fundamentals of data analytics that will allow them to create their own dashboard. Girls get their hands on free data visualization software (that they can use later!) and simultaneously learn fundamental concepts in data analytics. As an added bonus, they'll also learn about tech careers outside of those that require programming.
Girls leave the workshops with a flash drive that includes customized content from the workshop such as specially chosen data sets for further analysis, salary and job descriptions, sample work, and answers to the exercises in the workshop. The flash drive also contains the information and materials needed to enter a Data Visualization contest outside of the workshop. Added bonus? A free T-shirt!
Interested? Here are the details on how to participate:
SPACE IS LIMITED, REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
Location: CPCC Levine Campus, 2800 Campus Ridge Road, Charlotte, NC 28105 (Map)
Cost: $20 per participant (plus $2.09 fee) Please note there is a no refund policy for this event.
Who can participate? This workshop is for girls only and is targeted to grades 6-8.
Choose One of Two Workshops held on Saturday, October 14, 2017 The content covered is the same in both sessions.
Registration is through Eventbrite.
- Students are welcome to bring a notebook for taking notes. Computers are not required.
- Charlotte BI Group is also hosting their SQL Saturday on the same day. The campus is going to be very busy!
- Please accompany your child into the building and follow the signs to the SQL Saturday Check-In table. Check-in for the girls+data event will be alongside the registration for SQL Saturday.
- No need to bring your ticket.
- Once you check in, one parent may accompany their child during the workshop, but it is not required.
- If you do not wish to accompany your child during the workshop, Charlotte BI Group volunteers will escort your student to the workshop room. You should arrange to meet your student for pickup after the workshop is over.
- Parents wishing to stay on campus during the workshop are welcome to do so. There is plenty of room available to find a place to wait.
- If you wish to stay on campus during the workshop and are a data professional, Charlotte BI Group invites you to register for and attend SQL Saturday. Registration is required for this FREE event. You'll be asked to become a PASS member to register, but it is simply a matter of creating an account. There is no fee involved.
- Parents and students alike are free to visit the various vendors and business displays that will be present for SQL Saturday!
Questions that weren't answered here?